RLSS Pool Lifeguard Qualification
Be a Lifeguard
The Royal Lifesaving Society (RLSS) National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ)
A five-day course with the assessment on the sixth day
The NPLQ is a 5 day course with the assessment on the 6th day. It comprises of both wet and dry sessions through physical training and theatrical class room work.On the first day of the course the candidate will be given an integrated training manual and work book. Candidates are required to read the trailing manual and complete the work book exercises to be put forward for the assessment.To be entered into the assessment on the 6th day candidates need to demonstrate during the course the practical skills and an understanding of the full syllabus of skills. This will be done through continual assessment by the trainer during the course.
What will I learn?
The course is comprised of both theory and practical sessions and candidates will learn a variety of skills including
- The Lifeguard and the Law, Swimming Pool Supervision
- Intervention, Rescue and Emergency Action Plans
- CPR and First Aid
What are the pre-requisites?
In order to perform lifeguard duties, candidates must be physically fit, have good vision and hearing, be mentally alert and self disciplined.
You must be 16 years old at the date of assessment and be able to:
- Jump / dive into deep water
- Swim 50 metres in less than 60 seconds (that’s 2 lengths of the Royal Schools Pool)
- Swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water
- Treat water for 30 seconds
- Surface dive to the floor of the pool
- Climb out unaided without ladder / steps where the pool design permits
Booking onto a course
Courses are run throughout the year during school term holidays. To find when the next course is running please ask at reception or check out our courses page.